The Lowcountry Alliance for Healthy Youth (LCAHY) student initiative Teens for Healthy Youth (THY) is hosting events for National Drug & Alcohol Facts Week. These events kick off on Monday, March 30th to April 5th, 2020. The THY groups at Bluffton High School, Hilton Head Christian Academy, Hilton Head Island High School, Hilton Head Preparatory School, and May River High School are participating.
E-cigarette use poses a significant – and avoidable – health risk to young people in the United States. Besides increasing the possibility of addiction and long-term harm to brain development and respiratory health, e-cigarette use is associated with the use of other tobacco products that can do even more damage to the body. Even breathing e-cigarette aerosol that someone else has exhaled poses potential health risks. (surgeongeneral.gov)
The mission of Teens for Healthy Youth (THY) is to promote positive teen health through:
- Positive Youth Development
- Peer to Peer Education
- Community Service
THY is currently active in the following high schools:
- Bluffton High School – Advisor: Laura Pirkey email@example.com & Cheryl George firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cross Schools – Advisor: Grey Anne Cummings email@example.com & Wendy Cummings firstname.lastname@example.org
- Heritage Academy – Coming Soon!
- Hilton Head Christian Academy – Advisor: Jennifer Murphy email@example.com & Jill DelGuercio firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hilton Head Island High School– Advisor: Florentina Hartley florentina.hartley@beaufort.
k12.sc.us & Suzanne Taylor suzanne.taylor@ beaufort.k12.sc.us
- Hilton Head Preparatory School – Advisor: Sydney Wood email@example.com & Barab Asmuth firstname.lastname@example.org
- May River High School – Advisor: Joy Nelson email@example.com & Mariah Bowen firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you would like more information, please contact:
Mrs. Laura Pirkey, LCAHY Youth Coordinator
Teens for Healthy Youth (THY) is an initiative of LowCountry Alliance for Healthy Youth.
December 7th, 2019
Teen for Healthy Youth (THY), the youth coalition of the LowCountry Alliance for Healthy Youth (LCAHY), and Peacock Automotive were chosen by Mayor Sulka and the Town of Bluffton to be the Grand Marshals of the 2019 Bluffton Christmas Parade. The town of Bluffton honored a business and a youth group, THY of Bluffton High School and May River High School, who partnered with the Town to support the Lutzie 43 Campaign, which raises awareness about distracted driving. Mayor Sulka stated that THY has worked endlessly to promote positive teen health. During the parade, the youth passed out Lutzie43 cards to encourage citizens to take 43 seconds to check and eliminate all possible driving distractions. The Town of Bluffton and THY look forward to working on promoting positive teen health throughout the year.